Each year throughout the United States millions of adults over the age of 60 suffer falls. Many of these result in serious injuries that require emergency medical attention and can even result in lingering negative effects that impact their functioning and health for years. Reducing the risk that your senior will suffer such a fall is an important step in protecting their health and well-being, and encouraging them to live a higher quality of life as they age in place. Fortunately, home care can help.
Some of the ways that an in-home senior care services provider can help to reduce your parent's fall risk include:
- Help your parent to recognize potential risks in the home and either modify them or make changes to their daily routine to avoid them. This can include loose floor coverings, steps, thresholds, slippery flooring, items in walkways, and more.
- Provide ambulation assistance to seniors who are suffering from mobility issues or balance problems so that they can move around their home more confidently and more efficiently.
- Assistance with tasks that might be risky, such as transferring in and out of bed, in and out of a wheelchair, or in and out of a regular chair.
- Assistance with toileting if they suffer balance or flexibility problems.
- Assistance getting into and out of the tub, and assistance with the actual bathing process if they have mobility, balance, or flexibility issues .
- Support to engage in a more active lifestyle including physical exercise on a regular basis to keep their body stronger, more flexible, and healthier so that they are better able to stay on their feet.
- Support in using assistive devices, including vision aids and mobility devices, to help with their specific challenges and needs.
Starting home care for your aging parent can be an exceptional way to help them live the quality of life that they desire and deserve. An in-home senior care services provider will create a care approached specifically tailored to your parent's individual needs, challenges, and limitations, but also with their personality, lifestyle, and goals in mind. This means that they will be able to stay healthy, happy, safe, and comfortable, while also pursuing greater independence and fulfillment as they age in place. These services can include safe and reliable transportation to ensure that your parent can get where they need and want to go on their own schedule, mobility support, assistance with personal care needs, help caring for their home, medication reminders to keep them compliant with their prescriptions and guidelines, and companionship to support high mental and emotional health.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care services in Lansing, MI, please contact the caring staff at Seniors Helping Seniors of Lansing. Call today: 517-332-9953.