Caregivers in Okemos MI
Healthy Aging Month takes place throughout September, designed to focus on the positive parts of getting older. Use this concept as a way to encourage your loved one to try something new, whether it is a new class, new hobby, or something they have always wanted to learn or try. Healthy Aging Month should be the motivation your elderly parent needs to jumpstart their life and give themselves a whole new perspective on what aging really means.
Even if the senior has physical or mental ailments that has stopped them from trying new things in the past, they can still be a part of these celebration ideas with the help and support of a caregiver.
- Think positive. Positive thinking is a powerful thing. By using positive, upbeat words and actions in conversations, your loved one will instantly feel happier. But the trick to making this idea work is to eliminate or reduce the negative in their life, including watching the news.
- Remove negative people in your life. Is there a friend or family member that is constantly complaining or talking ill of others to the elder? Then it might be time to cut them loose. As difficult as this may be, you and the elder need to remove those people from your social circle who end up bring you and others down.
- Make new friends. You are never too old to make new friends and neither is your aging loved one. You or a caregiver should take them to social activities or classes through the senior center, local college, or community center. The senior will have the opportunity to meet others with similar interests, while also participating in an activity or hobby they love.
- Go for a walk. Walking can do wonderful things for the elder’s health. It can help keep their heart and other organs strong, boost their mood, and enhance their fitness level. If they have a dog, then taking their pooch for a walk is the perfect way to meet other dog owners and connect over their furry companions.
- Go to the doctor. If your loved one wants to feel younger, then they need to be in tip-top shape. The first step to getting to be healthy is getting an annual physical. This checkup will catch any illnesses or diseases they may have developed, as well as giving the elder tips on how to live a younger, more energetic life.
- Learn an instrument. Learning to play an instrument, no matter what age the elder is, can be the perfect stimulant for their mind. It will help them learn a new skill, while also strengthening their brain power.
Healthy Aging Month is all about becoming the person you want to be. Help your aging parent discover what kind of person they want to be at any age.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregivers in Okemos, MI, please contact the caring staff at Seniors Helping Seniors of Lansing. Call today: 517-332-9953.